Let’s decorate a storage box for the dog in your life. Leave off the puppy dog flannel heart and it’s perfect to put a gift in for your sweetie for Valentine’s Day. It has leather handles too! I am so in love with the embellishments. The heart graphic is below the photo.
I sometimes use affiliate links in my posts. This won’t cost you anything, but will help offset the cost of yarn and other supplies needed, so that I can continue bringing you crochet patterns and craft ideas. Thank you so much for your support.
- 1 It is so easy to cover a box or collapsible storage bin with fabric.
- 2 Supply List:
- 3 a. and a 1/4 yds plaid fabric (2 – 16″ x 38″ pieces of fabric)(I found this fabric at JoAnns. It is part of their super snuggle line of flannel fabrics) b. 47″ grosgrain ribbon (1″ or 1.5″ wide) c. Hot glue gun and glue sticks d. Scissors e. Measuring tape f. Scraps of fabric to make appliques g.. scraps of Heat and Bond Lite h. Assortment of buttons i. Leather scraps (2-¾” w x 6” long) j. 2 sets of screw on post
- 4 Adding leather handles is very easy.
- 5 Make a hole in the box, and push the post through the hole.
- 6 Now it’s time to screw the base onto the post.
- 7 Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 for the other side of the leather handle.
- 8 Embellishing the box is so easy!
It is so easy to cover a box or collapsible storage bin with fabric.
You just need to measure all four sides with a 3″ drop to the inside. Then measure the width of your box and add six inches. If using a 10.5″ storage bin like the one used in the video, you will need two pieces of fabric that are 16″ wide and 38″ long.Of course you don’t have to use a storage bin, you can use any old box.
Adding leather handles is very easy.
Leather can be purchased at most craft stores. Cut 2 strips 3/4″ wide by 6″ long and put a hole in the center of the strip, 1/2″ from the end, on both ends. Put a post through the hole. (pic1)
Make a hole in the box, and push the post through the hole.
I used very sharp scissors and it cut the hole in the fabric and through the cardboard. I had to go to the inside and cut a little bit of the debris away from the hole. (pic 2)
Now it’s time to screw the base onto the post.
This is very easy. I used my fingers but there is a divot for you to use a flat head screw driver if needed. (pic 3)
Repeat steps 1, 2 and 3 for the other side of the leather handle.
Then repeat the process to add a second handle to the opposite side. (pic 4)
Please refer to the video for questions, or come see me on my side of the mountain at Krissy’s Over The Mountain Crochet and Crafts.
Embellishing the box is so easy!
Cute two 3/8″ strips of coordinating fabric, then tie it in an over knot and glue one to the heart applique and the second to a vintage button. Then let’s get crazy and scatter buttons across the front. It’s so easy to hot glue them in place. What beauty.
If you have any questions, please refer to the video or come see me on my side of the mountain at Krissy’s Over The Mountain Crochet and Crafts.
Will you be making a beautiful storage box for your friend or doggie? If you do please let me know. I would love to hear from you.
This design is protected by copyright KrissysOverTheMountainCrochet 2021. Please do not duplicate or redistribute this design as yours. Do not use my photos to promote your business.
Make sure to visit these links if you are looking for beautiful crochet patterns that will inspire you to make your world a lovely place. If you would like to see more crochet baskets or garments click the links below.
PINTEREST is a fun place and I would love it if you would follow me there.